There must be many mistakes in IPL history but these are some that I remember and some I could find :
- Delhi Daredevils has made many mistakes in their history and undoubtedly they had bad IPL seasons.
- DD chose Pradeep Sangwan over Virat Kohli in 2008. I won’t call it a mistake exactly as how would they know that Virat would turn out to be a great player in future.
- DD bought Yuvraj Singh for 16 Crore (which is till now the most expensive buy in IPL) even though he wasn’t in a great form after his comeback. They paid the price after Yuvraj Singh had a bad season.
- DD later released great IPL players like Gautam Gambhir, Sehwag, David Warner and AB de Villiers, Andre Russell, Dhawan. They all have great stats now in IPL.
- KKR released Chris Gayle after 2010 even though he had a fine season. Later in 2011 Gayle scored 600+ runs for RCB.
- RCB used RTM for Pawan Negi in 2018. He had a bad season as he scored only 9 runs and picked only 1 wicket in 8 matches but they didn’t use RTM for KL Rahul who had a great season and ended up as top 5 run getter in IPL in next two seasons.
- KXIP changing their captain every year. I couldn’t understand the logic behind that. If a captain fails in one season then that doesn’t mean that he won’t do well in future. They had good options like Aaron Finch and Miller but they didn’t give them many chances.