The knowledge of Static Awareness is very important for all govt. Examinations whether it is SSC, Banking or UPSC. The knowledge of Current Affairs and various important facts about different countries can also give you an upper hand in interviews and cracking General Awareness section. Recently China was in news as it overtook eurozone as world's biggest bank system and the 9th BRICS Summit is to be held in Xiamen city, China. United Kingdom was in news as it's parliament gave final approval for Brexit bill and; Oman and Nepal were in news for Indo-Oman joint military exercise 'Al-Nagah-II' and Indo-Nepal joint military exercise respectively.
Generally the questions that you’ll face in examination will be from countries currently in news for various reasons, so it is important to be updated and revise facts about them. Read further to brush your general knowledge about China, UK, Nepal, USA and Oman.
China is a one-party state, with real power lying with the Chinese Communist party. The country is governed under the constitution of 1982 as amended, the fifth constitution since the accession of the Communists in 1949. The unicameral legislature is the National People's Congress (NPC), consisting of deputies who are indirectly elected to terms of five years.
Currency- Yuan or Renminbi
Parliament- National People's Assembly
Premier of China- Li Keqiang
President of China- Xi Jinping
Central Bank of China- People's Bank of China
President of People's Bank of China- Zhou Xiaochuan
Stock Exchange of China- SSE Composite - index of all listed stocks (A shares and B shares) at Shanghai Stock Exchange.
Headquarters of Important international organizations in China
Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) - Beijing, China
New Development Bank (NDB) - Shanghai, China
Important facts about China:
1. China is the world's most populous country.
2. China has the world's largest standing army and second-largest defense budget.
3. China is the world's largest exporter and second-largest importer of goods.
4. Table tennis is China's national sport.
5. The Great Wall of China is one amongst the Seven Wonders of the World. It was built in 7th century. It is only thing which is visible from space.
6. China is famous for its one child policy.
The UK is situated north-west of the European continent between the Atlantic Ocean and the North Sea. It has a total land area of 244,100 square kilometres, of which nearly 99% is land and the remainder inland water. From north to south it is about 1,000 kilometres long. The official name of the UK is the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".
The United Kingdom is made up of:
England - The capital is London.
Scotland - The capital is Edinburgh .
Wales - The capital is Cardiff.
Northern Ireland - The capital is Belfast.
England, Scotland and Wales together form Great Britain.
Great Britain and Northern Ireland together form the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" (UK).
Currency- Pound sterling
Parliament- "The House of Commons" and "House of Lords" each play an important role in Parliament's work.
Prime Minister of UK- Theresa May
Central Bank of UK- Bank of England (BoE)
Governor of Bank of England (BoE)- Mark Carney
Headquarters of Important international organizations in UK:
Commonwealth Games- London
International Maritime Organization (IMO)- London
Important facts about UK:
1. The United Kingdom happens to be the first industrialized country in the World.
2. Cricket was evolved in England in the 18th century.
3. Queen Elizabeth II is the world's longest-reigning living monarch after the death of King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand.
Nepal, officially the Federal Democratic Republic of Nepal, is a landlocked central Himalayan country in South Asia. Nepal is a landlocked country is bordered by China and India. It is located in the Himalayas and contains eight of the world's ten highest peaks.
Currency: Nepalese rupee
Prime Minister: Pushpa Kamal Dahal
President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
Central Bank of Nepal- Nepal Rastra Bank
Governor of Nepal Rastra Bank- Dr. Chiranjibi Nepal
Headquarters of Important international organizations in Nepal:
South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC)- Kathmandu
Important facts about Nepal:
1. The Himalayas mountains is shared between five countries in descending order: Nepal, Bhutan, India, China and Pakistan. The mountainous north of Nepal has eight of the world’s ten tallest mountains, including the highest point on Earth, Mount Everest.
2. Nepal does not have an independent day because Nepal was never colonized.
3. Siddhartha Gautam (Buddha) was born in Kapilvastu, Lumbini which lies in Nepal. Lumbini is a sacred place for Buddhists.
United States of America
The Federal Government of the United States is the national government of the United States, a republic in North America, composed of 50 states, one district, Washington, D.C., and several territories.
The Constitution of the United States divides the federal government into three branches to ensure a central government in which no individual or group gains too much control:
1. Legislative – Makes laws (Congress)
2. Executive – Carries out laws (President, Vice President and Cabinet)
3. Judicial – Evaluates laws (Supreme Court and other courts)
Capital- Washington, D.C.
Currency- United States dollar
Parliament- The United States House of Representatives
President of USA- Donald Trump (45th President of USA)
Central Bank of USA- Federal Reserve System
Chairperson of Federal Reserve System- Janet Yellen
Headquarters of Important international organizations in USA:
International Monetary Fund (IMF)- Washington, D.C.
World Bank Group- Washington, D.C.
United Nations- New York
Important facts about USA:
1. The largest air force in the world is the U.S. Air Force. The world’s second-largest air force is the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps combined.
2. The United States is the world's largest national economy in nominal terms and second largest according to purchasing power parity (PPP), representing 22% of nominal global GDP and 17% of gross world product (GWP).
3. United States is largest aviation market in terms of domestic passenger traffic with 815 million passengers in 2016.
4. Stock Exchange the NASDAQ Stock Market is an American stock exchange. It is the second-largest exchange in the world by market capitalization, behind only the New York Stock Exchange (USA).
Oman, a nation on the Arabian Peninsula, has terrain encompassing desert, riverbed oases and long coastlines on the Persian (Arabian) Gulf, Arabian Sea and Gulf of Oman.
Currency: Omani rial
Sultan: Qaboos bin Said al Said
Central Bank of Oman- Central Bank of Oman
Deputy Chairman of Central Bank of Oman- H.E. Dr. Ali bin Mohammed bin Moosa